Conti 1 problem

geschrieben von - posted by pmacwaters 
Conti 1 problem
16.12.09 12:04
Hi Everybody

I'm new to this forum so my excuses if this topic has been posted before. I have just finished refurbishing a Continental 1 ( XJCA 200) and have just 1 problem remaining. When a record is playing and a further selection is made there is a thump through the speaker when the buttons pop back out.

I have cleaned and regapped all the relay contacts and the amp has been done. The earth from the original GE cartridge is grounded at the amp end only. I belong to another forum and have received several ideas none of which have cured the problem so far, can anyone here help me? Thanks, Peter
Re: Conti 1 problem
16.12.09 21:42
Hello Peter

this is a well known problem of some AMI (and probably other makes) amplifiers. There are some possible solutions, but unfortunately it is not always possible, to eliminate the noise completely. You can try one ore more of the following things.

The cause of the noise is probably RF radiation, produced by the opening contact. This radiation will be received by the volume control potentiometer or the box, in which it is mounted.

You can remove the volume control box from the original place and mount it on an other place, where no RF radiation is received

You can built a metal housing as screen over the potentiometer housing. The housing may not be connected to the other one, it must be connected over it's own cable to the amplifier ground.

You can solder a 10kOhm resistor in series with the coupling capacitor after the volume control potentiometer. Disconnect the 0,01 MFD capacitor from pin #2 of V1 (on the power amplifier) an solder the resistor between the capacitor and the tube socket. This will build (together with the input capacity of the tube) a low-pass filter, in order to supress radio frequencies. If that is not suffivient, you can solder a little capacitor (50 - 100 pF) between #2 and ground additionally. If you have a stereo amplifier, it is to be made for both channels.

Good luck and greetings from Austria - charly49

NSM ES V-CD Techno Old Fashion wizzard
12.09.16 02:29
Hallo liebe Leute,
bei obiger Box: wirft man Geld ein, dann kann man einen Titel wählen. Aber das wars dann schon. Es wird keine weitere Funktion ausgeführt.
Habe zwar schon Seeburg, Wurlitzer und einige andere Geräte zur Reparatur gehabt aber noch keine so "moderne" mit CDs. Wer kann mir hier vielleicht weiterhelfen?
Wäre sehr nett. Vielen Dank im voraus und viele Grüße
Re: Conti 1 problem
12.09.16 09:01
Bitte erstelle einen eigenen Thread zu deinem Problem!
Eine Ami Continental 1 hat mit deiner Box absolut nichts gemeinsam, außer das es eine Jukebox ist!
Man buddelt auch keine 7 Jahre alten Threads aus um sich dann einfach dranzuhängen!

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 12.09.16 12:53.
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in