Rockola 1454 hum

geschrieben von - posted by smt02 
Rockola 1454 hum
12.10.16 09:46
Hi all
I have a rockola 1454 jukebox, all plays great and has the original speaker which has been re coned, there is a slight issue with hum, I know it's a valve amp but just how audiable should the hum be ? It's noticeable on a quiet intro more and less apparent as if I pull the tone arm cable out of the amp, is there any advise anyone can give
Thanks in advance.
Re: Rockola 1454 hum
12.10.16 10:13
Also forgot to mention, when the tone arm lands on the record it's quite loud so maybe the micro switch to turn the amp on is coming on too soon
15.10.16 18:04
Hi smt02,

Please let us know some more details.
The speaker got reconed. Was the amplifier overhauled? Which idler wheel are you using - the old or a new one? If it's the old one, the rubber might have gotten hard or does have a damage (tear, dent, etc.) and cause some noise.
Did you check the micro switch for the mute? Do not rely on the clicking sound, measure it for being ok and see if the little pin can move freely.
Do you use old or new turntable grommets?

Can you describe a little bit more what "It's noticeable on a quiet intro more and less apparent as if I pull the tone arm cable out of the amp" means?
When you pull this plug while a record plays you will hear some mechanical noises, e.g. from the idler wheel. But it should not be too much. Because when the amp gets powered these side noises will be amplified somehow too.

Hildegard
18.10.16 13:56
Hi Hildegard
Thanks for the reply
The amplifier was rebuilt about 5 years ago
The idler wheel and grommets have been replaced so are in good order, I pull the tone arm plug out of the amplifier and the hum disappears , I am thinking the issue may be a bad earth somewhere
I have replaced the cartridge for a better item from the jukebox man, the old one was a red plastic basic item
The Cable from the tone arm is original and not been replaced
Regards
Andy
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in