Seeburg U100 Disco motor problem

geschrieben von - posted by Percy 
Seeburg U100 Disco motor problem
15.10.16 16:09
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum but a long time fan of jukeboxes and own a Seeburg U100 Discotheque. It is causing problems and I have decided that it's time to teach myself, with your help, how to fix it.

The first one is the motor. For some reason it is running inconstantly so the record cannot be played without the speed going up and down !!.
I originally planned to replace it however I am aware that some Seeburgs have motor controllers.

Can anyone tell me if this model does have one and should I be lokoing at that first before replacing the motor ?.

Thanks for any help.
Gavin

Re: Seeburg U100 Disco motor problem
15.10.16 17:39
Hello Gavin,

Welcome in this forum.

What makes you think the motor being bad causing the problem? To find out you would need to test it separately on a work bench.

An inconstantly speed can be caused by a gummed up, sticky mechanism too and hence making a cranky sound.
Next to a dirty mechanism this can have several causes:

- A brittle, not soft any longer clutch
- A brittle, hardened or damaged rubber grommet below the motor
- Worn rubbers inside the turntable
- Worn rubber mounts on top and below the motor
- The ball bearings inside the turntable - if they stick and are not flexible enough
- Too much tonearm pressure
- If it's only with some records: Maybe the centre hole isn't centered well.
- Checking the can capacitor could be helpful - it has two values.

Maybe you can also give us some information about your technical knowledge and equipment, if you do have the service manual, schematics and/or other documentation on hand, and if so what you did so far to solve that problem.
Each detail can make it easier to help.

Regards - HIldegard Stamann
Re: Seeburg U100 Disco motor problem
16.10.16 18:57
Hi,
that's quite a list thanks for replying.

I played it today to check and noticed that it also tracked, whilst searching for a record, slowly but still managed it. The record is fine as I tried it on a number of them. If it's important the revs drop and pick up to normal speed and drop again continuously. It never goes faster than it should.

I will start by checking the things you have mentioned and giving the unit a clean where I think it needs it. This will take a while and then I will come back to you with an update.

As for myself I consider myself quite "handy" but only on a mechanical front, I restore motorcycles etc and do some machining but like many people electronics is a mystery to me. I am hoping to teach myself a little with the help of the forum.

I have access to schematics and service manuals.

In my defence I am confident that if someone suggest that an electrical item is at fault I can replace it myself but I doubt whether I would know what it actually does !!!!.

Thanks for your help and hopefully I will update you all soon.
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in