Wurlitzer Lyric M 1964 ; record doesn't spin ; help

geschrieben von - posted by philip5500 
Wurlitzer Lyric M 1964 ; record doesn't spin ; help
17.01.17 14:14
Hello,

My name is Philip and I'm living in Belgium. My German is not got enough to write it, but I can read and understand it. Please feel free to answer in german (or english or dutch maybe?).

Several years ago I bought a Wurlitzer Lyric M 1964. The jukebox worked correctly back then.

For a few years I had the jukebox stored away. Now I want to use it again in my living room.

Only one problem: I know practically nothing about the technical side of a jukebox. And what's even worse: the jukebox has a malfunction now.

For the moment the records are selected and brought vertically before the record guide plate (in german: Klarsichtblende) as usual, but the top of the turntable (in german: Topf) doesn't spin the record. The belt of the turntable in the back of the jukebox is running normally. It seems to me that the top of the turntable is also running at normal speed.

It looks as if the top of the turntable doesn't get any grip on the record. (The record seems jammed.)

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks.
Re: Wurlitzer Lyric M 1964 ; record doesn't spin ; help
19.01.17 00:32
Hello Philip

First I will describe how the clamping mechanism works. On the rear of the turntable shaft there is a shaft with a small plate. The small plate is pulled back with a lever when the record is to be laid back. When the record is placed, the small plate is released. As a result, the centering cone is pushed into the hole in the record and three clips are extended in order to clamp the record.

There are several ways that can cause the malfunction. The lever, which pulls the shaft with the small plate, is actuated by a cam. This could become jammed so that the lever does not allow the shaft to retract far enough. The cam is actuated by a cable pull. It could be that the steel cable does not fit properly in the idler, which would change the angle of rotation of the cam. It is also possible that the clamping mechanism is stiff by hardened grease. The shaft with the small plate is pulled with a spring inside. If the mechanism is stiff by gummy grease, the centering cone is pushed into the record, but the clips are not extended far enough to clamp the record. In this case, the mechanism would have to be disassembled, cleaned and re-lubricated. If you're lucky, it could also help if you select an empty record tray and push the shaft with the small plate back and forth by hand several times.

Best regards - charly49
19.01.17 21:50
Hello Charly,

First of all, thanks for the reply. It's great to know that helpful people are still around in this world.

I read your advise with great interest.

I checked the tree clips. They are popping out of the cone without any problem. The problem seems to be that the record that is brought before the cone is pushed away by the cone just before the moment that the tree clips extend.

As a result the record is jammed between the tree clips and the record guide plate. At that same moment you can still see the cone turning around. Only problem is that the tree clip are not extended in the opening of the record. You see them extended behind the record, on the turning cone.

Maybe this rings a bell for you? Is it the turntable shaft that leaves too much space between itself and the record guide plate? The record guide plate is still in place. (It only moves a little bit back and forth, but all the screwes seem tight.) What I notice is that the record, when brought before the cone, has it's round opening not centered before the cone: it's about one cm lower than the cone. Has the record to be really centered before the cone? Maybe thats' the problem?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Greetings

Philip

20.01.17 14:51
Hello Philip

The hole in the record must not be 1 cm lower than the cone. The cone must raise the records when entering just enough that these touches neither the movable ramp nor the liftarm when turning. These are about 3-4 mm.

Best regards - charly49
20.01.17 19:06
Hello Charly,

Thanks again. With the movable ramp I believe you mean the "Begrenzungszunge".

When loading the record before the turntable I used my hands (as a liftarm on the leftside and as the removable ramp on the right side) to bring the record a little higher and ... it worked.

When I do this, the three clips are clamping the record against the turntable.The clips are through the hole of the record and are pulling it back correctly.

I ordered a service manual in the Stamann webshop ; I hope that the manual has the info to adjust the liftarm and the movable ramp.

Once again, thank you already.

Greetings

Philip
24.01.17 15:32
Hello Charly,

I think I discovered the problem. I was running the jukebox with just 8 records in it.

Once the carrousel (the record holder assembly) was completely filled, the records were clamped correctly/automatically.

A real beginner mistake I guess.

The jukebox was now running for a couple of days but now I have a new problem.

The rubber ring on top of the record clamp shaft came loose. Do you (or someone else who is reading this) know a trick to repair this?

Kind regards

Philip
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in